2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter
¾ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1 ½ cups chopped fresh cranberries
½ cup chopped pecans
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Greasing 9-by-5-by-3-inch baking pan.
– Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until the mixture resembles corn meal.
– Beat egg until thick and light. Stir in orange juice and rind. Lightly stir this mixture into the flour mixture just until the ingredients are blended. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
– Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched.
– Cool on a rack, wrap in foil and hold overnight before slicing.