- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 cup peeled apples pieces
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat bring sugar and water to a boil.
- Add in all other ingredients and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, stir and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a serving dish and let cool before serving.
Notes & Options:
There are lots of ways to modify this cranberry chutney to spice it up, down or just change it to suit your palate. You can try:
– Using orange juice instead of water to make it sweeter. Using juice also adds to the flavor although some people find that with the sugar and raisins that the chutney is plenty sweet already.
– Add 1/2 tsp each of cloves, all spice and ginger if you want it holiday spicy-like.
– Some people like letting this sit overnight in the fridge and then taking it out until it’s back to room temperature before serving it. They say the flavor really gets a chance to set in.
– Add in orange pieces or even orange zest to make the chutney chunkier and more festive.
Make it Healthy – Replace the sugar with granulated sweetener and the raisins with either sugar-free dried cranberries or simply chunks of pineapple. Replacing this one ingredient (sugar) will turn this recipe into a healthy, sugar-free snack instead of a sweet treat.
More Cranberry Recipes