- 1 Flaky Pastry for 9-inch double pie (store bought)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen)
- 3 cups frozen sliced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Prepare pie dough and fit loosely into 9-inch pie plate.
- Mix rhubarb, cranberries, sugar, tapioca and cinnamon.
- Spread fruit mixture in pie shell. Cover with remaining pie dough.
- Heat oven to 425. Place pie on baking sheet in oven. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375, bake 35 to 40 minutes longer until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
Notes & Options:
There are lots of ways to modify this cranberry pie to spice it up, down or just change it to suit your palate. You can try:
– Adding dried cranberries to make it sweeter. Using dry cranberries instead of fresh fulfills this function well.
– Add 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg and ginger if you want it holiday spicy-like.
– Half the cranberries if you find them too tart, although that’s what most people like about using fresh cranberries, the tartness combined with sweet.
– Omit the cranberries and instead use a fresh, homemade cranberry topping to top the sliced bread with.
Make it Healthy – Replace the sugar with granulated sweetener and make your own low carb pie crust instead of the store bought one. Replacing this one ingredient (sugar) will turn this recipe into a healthy, sugar-free snack instead of a dessert.
More Cranberry Recipes
– Top Recipes
– Cranberry Bread
– Apple Cranberry Pie w/ Crumble
– Cranberry Pie Recipe
– Apple Cranberry Pie Recipe
– Cranberry Crumble