Cranberry breads are very flexible in terms of what you can add to them. If you follow the recipe you’ll see that it’s got the right amount of tart and sweet, and is very hearty, leaving you feeling satisfied without that sugar crash people get when they eat dessert. Another good cran recipe if you like this type of dessert is the cranberry oat raisin muffins post. Good to eat any time of year. Now, back to the loaf; this recipe is pretty straightforward and will become a staple in your home if you like to have your desserts be both tasty AND healthy (as much as possible anyway).
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup currants
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the eggs, butter and mashed bananas.
- Stir into dry ingredients until well combined. Add currants and cranberries and stir.
- Grease a small loaf pan and pour batter inside.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Notes & Options:
There are lots of ways to modify this cranberry/banana bread to spice it up, down or just change it to suit your palate. You can try:
– Using fresh cranberries is always best but if you can’t then frozen work just as well.
– Add some extra nuts to the batter gives this loaf a satisfying crunch. I recommend walnuts or almond pieces.
– Brushing the top of the loaf (before it goes into the oven) with melted butter and sugar makes it a tad more appealing to the eye, AND to that first bite.
Make it Healthy – Replacing the sugar in the batter with granulated sweetener will ensure your loaf is sugar free and purely a starch food. Like eating fruit and bread – much healthier.
More Cranberry Recipes
– Top Recipes
– Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
– Cranberry Orange Bread
– Simple Cranberry Bread
– Cranberry Walnut Bread
– Cranberry Orange Loaf