- 1 cup homemade cranberry sauce
- 1 cup of regular, uncooked rice
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ** Optional 1/3 cup sugar
- Prepare easy homemade cranberry topping here beforehand. Chill.
- Pour all ingredients (*except cranberry topping) into a saucepan. Stir.
- Bring a vigorous simmer on medium heat. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour or until desired consistency is reached.
- Chill overnight. Serve with cranberry topping and fresh cranberries.
Notes & Options:
There are lots of ways to modify this cranberry rice pudding to spruce it up, down or just change it to suit your palate. You can try:
– Using almond milk instead of cow’s milk if you want to avoid dairy for any reason.
– Add raisins; 1/3 of a cup of raisins to the saucepan if you’d like them plump and juicy, or wait and add them to the chilled rice pudding if you prefer them dry.
– The secret to a good rice pudding is to let it sit overnight in the fridge before serving it. Same with the cranberry topping.
– Add some cinnamon or other holiday spices to the chilled dish.
Make it Healthy – Replace the sugar with granulated sweetener in both the homemade cranberry topping and the rice pudding mixture. Replacing this one ingredient (sugar) will turn this recipe into a healthy, sugar-free snack instead of a sweet treat.
More Cranberry Recipes