- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 cut up apple
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (10 ounce) round brie wheel
- 1 large sheet of puff pastry
- 1 egg
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat bring first 7 ingredients above to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. This is the chutney.
- For Brie, slice the brie wheel in half like you would a bagel or bread bun to make a sandwich. You want a top and bottom like a burger bun.
- Place the bottom piece on the parchment paper and spread about half the chutney over it. Put the top piece of brie on top.
- Roll the piece of puff pastry with a rolling pin until it’s a few inches thicker and place your new brie sandwich in the center.
- Fold the corners of the puff pastry so they meet in the center of the Brie. Brush the dough where the pieces meet with the egg. Fold the rest so that the Brie is tightly wrapped.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the wrapped brie on it, flipping it upside down first, so the folded edges are on the bottom.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a spatula and serve with the rest of the cranberry chutney, nuts, dried fruit and/or crackers.
Notes & Options:
There are lots of ways to modify this baked brie cranberry chutney to spice it up, down or just change it to suit your palate. You can try:
– Add 1/2 tsp of grated, fresh ginger will give it a stronger, zestier taste.
– Some people like letting this sit in the fridge 1 hour and then taking it out to bake. They say the flavor really gets a chance to set in.
– Add in orange pieces or even orange zest to make the chutney chunkier and more festive.
Make it Healthy – Replace the sugar with granulated sweetener. Replacing this one ingredient (sugar) will turn this recipe into a healthy, holiday appetizer instead of a sweet treat.
More Cranberry Recipes